Thursday, March 31, 2011

Pumpkin Oat Bran Muffins

Ok so I am finally posting this recipe! I know these things take me forever to get around to.

I will post the version I brought to the party and the optional changes.

1 1/2 Cups Unprocessed Oat Bran
1/2 Cup firmly packed Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 ts. Pumpkin Pie Spice
2 ts. Baking Powder
1/4 ts. Salt

Combine these 6 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well.

1 Cup Pumpkin
1/2 t. Sugar
1 Egg
1/2 Cup Skim Milk
2 T. Oil
1 t. Double Strength Vanilla (I just used regular cause I ran out of double strength)

Stir sugar into the pumpkin then add the rest of these wet ingredients in a separate bowl from the dry ingredients. Stir really well.

Make a well in the center of the dry stuff and mix in wet ingredients just until all is moistened.
Spoon into muffin pans coated with cooking spray, filling 3/4 full (This should make 12 muffins) Bake at 425 for around 20 minutes. If they are turning a little brown on the edges then they are done. Remove from pans immediately, serve warm.

Also, these freeze really well. just defrost in the microwave so they get a little warm.

Nutritional info...
1 Muffin contains
Calories 145
Total Fat 4.4g
Cholesterol 17.6g
Sodium 9.4g
Carbohydrates 26.2g
Dietary Fiber 4.2g
Soluble Fiber 1.5g
Sugars 9.9g
Protein 4.4g

That is based on the way I did them the other night and how I posted the recipe. Optional things to add are 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips (which adds 45 Calories 1g of fat, and 5g of sugar to each muffin); take out some of the sugar if you add chocolate chips and don't do any white sugar in the pumpkin puree and it makes it a lot better and the right amount of sweetness otherwise they are a little too sweet even for me. Also another variation is to use pumpkin pie mix instead of plain pumpkin. That is actually what the original recipe calls for but it is a ton healthier and more of an actual breakfast with plain pumpkin. I originally tried it with plain pumpkin because I was trying to get rid of a ton of sugar from it because I loved these muffins so much but need to watch sugars for the whole pre-diabetes thing that goes along with PCOS. I honestly like it more with plain pumpkin instead of pumpkin pie filling but that is just another variation.

Alright enjoy!

1 comment: